The Wilsons of Caithness and Sutherland descend from William, son of that George who was Chief of Clan Gunn in the mid-15th century. The Wilsons of Banffshire, and some families around Edinburgh, are cadets of the house of Innes of Aberchirder. For long among the best-known of the name were the Wilsons of Bannockburn. For over a century and a half their firm wove checks and tartans. They supplied the Government with tartan for the Highland Regiments and, after the repeal of the Act of Proscription in 1782, collected ancient setts, designed others and were in the thick of the Tartan Revival at the beginning of the 19th century. The Wilson tartan was designed by William Wilson of the Bannockburn firm, for his wife, Janet, in the early nineteenth century.
Size will vary depending on sett size, pattern repeat and type of fabric.